Hair Follicle Testing KitsTestExpress Hair Test Express Hair Follicle Drug Testing Kit
Hair Testing - Frequently Asked Questions
- What drugs does TestExpress Hair Test screen for?
- What time period does the TestExpress Hair Test test cover?
- How does the test work?
- Is your Laboratory Accredited?
- How fast does head hair grow?
- How soon after use can a drug be detected in hair? It takes approximately 4-5 days from the time of drug use for the affected hair to grow above the scalp. Body hair growth rates are generally slower and cannot be utilized to determine a timeframe of drug use.
- Can tests be run on people with little or no hair?
- What is the shortest time period that can be accurately evaluated?
- Does external exposure to certain drugs, like Marijuana or crack smoke, affect the hair test results?
- Can hair be affected by cross-reacting substances such as over-the-counter medications? Enzyme-immunoassay antibodies (EIA), similar to those used to test urine, are used for the initial drug screening in hair; therefore the potential for substances such as over-the-counter medications to cause a false positive screening result does exist. To eliminate the possibility of reporting a false-positive result due to cross-reactivity, our laboratory performs Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry (GC/MS) for all specimens that screen positive.
- Does hair color affect results? Hair color is determined by the amount of melanin in the hair. It has been shown experimentally, through actual hair samples, as well as determined in court, that hair color has NO basis in fact.
- Can hair collected from a hairbrush be used? No, we do not recommend taking a hair sample from a brush or any other source (e.g. pillow, clothing) as the sample may be contaminated and there is no guarantee that the hair is from your child. The laboratory will reject a hair sample if it is not collected and prepared as per the instructions.
- How does TestExpress Hair Test compare to urinalysis or saliva tests on the market? The primary differences are:
- Wider window of detection
- Inability to tamper with the test
- How effective is Hair Testing in detecting drug users? In side-by-side comparison studies with urinalysis, hair drug testing has uncovered significantly more drug use. In two independent studies, hair drug testing uncovered 4 to 8 times as many drug users as urinalysis for evidence of drug use.
- How long will it take to receive the results? We know it is important that you receive results as quickly as possible. TestExpress Hair Test has the fastest turnaround time for hair testing.
- How will I read the results? The results will indicate a positive or negative result for each drug class. In addition, when a donor tests positive, the result will provide an assessment of hair dose response to identify whether the donor is a low (occasional), medium (weekend, daily) or high (constant) user**.
TestExpress Hair Test screens for five different drug classes: Cocaine (cocaine & benzoylecgonine), Marijuana, Opiates (Codeine, Morphine & 6-monacteyl morphine), Amphetamine (Meth/amphetamine & Ecstasy) and Phencyclidine (PCP, angel dust).
TestExpress Hair Test will detect drugs for a period of 90 days. The test requires a hair sample of 1.5 inches in length. Each 0.5 inch represents 30 days. The hair sample must be cut as close to the scalp as possible and the most recent 1.5 inches are tested.
Using the detailed instructions as a guide, collect a hair sample of approximately 90-120 hairs. Mail the hair sample to our affiliate laboratory, Omega Laboratories, Inc, using the pre-addressed envelope provided. The laboratory will analyze the hair sample for evidence of drug use. Using your TestExpress Hair Test Specimen ID number, passcode and email address, you must register your test once you have mailed the samples to the laboratory. Go to the results section to obtain the results.
Omega Laboratories, Inc* is accredited by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) and all tests are supervised, reviewed and approved by Ph.D. staff scientists. Omega Laboratories have performed over 1.5 million hair tests.
Studies indicate that head hair grows on average of 0.5 inches (1.3cm) per month. This growth rate varies slightly (estimated at ± 0.2 cm per month), consequently there is some (± 1 week) time variation possible. Head and body hair do not grow at the same rate; body hair grows at a slower rate.
Hair can be collected from several head locations and combined to obtain the required amount of hair. If the head hair is too short, body hair can be used as a substitute. If body hair is used the timeframe represented by the test is approximately one year due to the different growth pattern in hair below the neck. NOTE: DO NOT mix head and body hair.
The minimum time period is approximately one month (0.5 inch).
To rule out the possibility of external contamination, TestExpress Hair Test testing (where appropriate) looks for both parent & metabolite (bi-product) of drug usage. For Marijuana analysis, our laboratory detects only the metabolite (THC-COOH). This metabolite is only produced by the body and cannot be an environmental contaminant.
Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Opiates and Phencyclidine are rapidly excreted and usually undetectable in urine 72 hours after use, and in saliva 48 hours after use. The detection period for hair is limited only by the length of the hair sample and is approximately 90 days.
Using the shipping label included in this kit, the laboratory will receive the sample the next business day. Tests results are available 2 business days after the sample has been received by the laboratory.
*Omega Laboratory is located in 400 N. Cleveland Avenue , Mogadore , Ohio 44260